I was searching for a birthday present for my five-year-old daughter. She loves playing games and having technology around her, so I decided to find something high-tech but still kid-friendly. Since I also wanted to keep track of her, I decided to find the best smartwatch for kids.
During my research, I discovered that these gadgets have a wide range of features and prices. Some smartwatches for children are of good quality, while others are a complete rip-off. Some are suited for young children while others are best suited for teenagers.
Thus I began my research on the best options available. I spent over twenty hours finding a good and reliable watch. I went through various reviews, watched videos, and compared the features.
At last, not only did I find the perfect watch for my daughter, but I was also able to create this detailed review of the best options. If you want to get value for your money, you need to go through this kids smart watch review before making a buying decision. Here is a table of my top choices.
Quick Links To The Best SmartWatch For Kids:
- Smart Phone Watches for Kids Game Watch – Best Tracking Device
- IREALIST Kids Smartwatch – Best For Communication
- Prograce Kids Smart Watch – Best Game Watch
- VTech Kidizoom Smartwatch – The Top Kids Smart Watch
- Kids Smart Watch Phone GPS Tracker Ip67 Waterproof – Best For Swimming
|View on Amazon →|
|View on Amazon →|
|View on Amazon →|
|View on Amazon →|
|View on Amazon →|
My Top Choice
After doing all that research, I chose the REALIST Kids Smartwatch for my daughter. I was attracted by its pink color (which is her favorite) and the many good ratings from users. I am happy to report that my daughter loves it.
Kids are amazing. I was surprised that she was able to use many of its function the same night it was delivered! Unlike me who is still trying to figure it out to this day (but that’s today’s kid for you). My favorite of its many features is the two-way call option which makes it easy for me to stay connected to her.
Top 5 Best Smartwatches For Kids
If you don’t have the money right now to buy more expensive gifts like drones, smart watches for kids are a good choice.
From my detailed research, here are the top five smartwatches for kids that I came across:
1. Smart Phone Watches for Kids Game Watch – Best Tracking Device
- High-definition camera
- Pre-installed games
- Alarm clock
This is a smartwatch that is suitable for children ages three to 12 years. It comes with seven new games (Bee War, Baseball Shoot Master, Ultimate Racing, and Mario Eat Gold, for example). Not only are the games easy and fun to play, but they help to enhance the brain function of your child.
The smartwatch makes it possible for your kid to make a call from wherever they are as well. It has a high-definition camera that is able to record your child’s activity for the whole day. It produces no radiation and, therefore, causes no harm to your child’s body.
Customers who have bought the watch say their kids have unlimited fun with the large number of games that come pre-installed. They also like the fact that the numerals and indices come in bright yellowish-green color that makes it easy for their kids to dial. They say the watch has a clean face with no clutter.
- The waterproof feature enables kids to play in the water without having to remove the watch first
- High-definition camera enables users to record events without connecting to a camera
- Does not produce radiation and safe for use by kids
- No need to download an app, so you don’t have to worry about the safety of your personal information
- Instances of the watch coming with the wrong SIM card have been reported
If you would like to keep track of your child, this gadget is just the right option. What makes it even better is that it is available at an affordable price.
2. IREALIST Kids Smartwatch – Best For Communication
- Built-in games
- USB rechargeable
- Built-in speakers and microphone
- Multipurpose design
In the recent past, parents were buying expensive toys for their children like a 3-wheeler board. However, if you are on a budget, the perfect gift for your child is the REALIST kid’s smartwatch.
This smartwatch comes with a camera that rotates 90°. It has a wide range of functions from recording video/sound to playing games. It also has a timer and an alarm clock.
Customers who have bought this smartwatch say they love its sleek look, its lightweight design, and durability. They also love the fact that it has a thin band and can be adjusted using the magnet closure. They say the strap is quite strong and feels like it is made of metal.
- The multipurpose design means it’s more than just a smartwatch
- The USB feature enables you to upload videos/photos and recharge the battery
- The sweat-proof feature means your child can play without worry
- The built-in speaker and recorder enable you to record a video or make calls
- The rose gold finish starts to tarnish after some time
The REALIST kid’s smartwatch is a perfect choice for communicating with your child when they are away from home. You can also take photos when the children are playing and record those beautiful moments.
3. Prograce Kids Smart Watch – Best Game Watch
- Built-in games
- Band material made of silica gel
- FM radio, audio player, and earphones
- Ability to connect to Bluetooth
This is a kid’s smartwatch that has been designed for children ages four to 12 years old. It has a wide range of features that makes it possible for your child to have fun as they learn.
Definitely the right gadget for helping your kids form positive health habits from a young age. It has a pedometer that counts their steps and calories as well as a health motion sensor for active play challenges.
The majority of users are excited at the wide range of features that come with this gadget. They also say the games are healthy for children between ages four and 11.
- The rotatable camera enables you to take selfies and pictures using a single camera, adding fun for your kid
- With four built-in games, kids can choose their preferred option
- Requires you to buy a memory card separately
With the Prograce kids smartwatch, you can move the camera forward or backward to choose your preferred photographing angle. It’s many features make it one of the top kids smart watches.
4. VTech Kidizoom Smartwatch – The Top Kids Smart Watch
- Touch screen
- Dual camera
- Micro-USB cable
- Motion apps and games
- Time apps
- Five exciting games
If you are searching for a gadget that will help your children to tell time using a customizable analog and digital clock, the Vtech Kidizoom Smartwatch is the right choice. This comes with 55(!) clock faces that kids can customize.
It has a fun monster detector that allows children to enjoy an augmented reality gaming experience where they can capture “real-world” monsters. Also, it has a pedometer and a motion sensor that enables active play challenges.
Most users say they like the fact that it has a pedometer that works like the usual fitness apps. This makes the kids feel as if they are also engaging in a workout. Users also love the fact that they are able to download an internal memory of up to 256 MB.
- Dual cameras allow you to take selfies and photograph the area around you with one touch
- The Micro-USB cable allows you to upload videos and photos and recharge batteries
- Splash-proof feature enhances everyday play
- Motion games and apps allow you to complete challenges
- Limited choice of games
The Vtech Kidizoom Smartwatch works like a smartphone except that it doesn’t have GPS or internet access.The silicone band and sturdy case enable it to last long.
5. Kids Smart Watch Phone GPS Tracker Waterproof – Best For Swimming
- Voice chat
- SOS emergency call feature
- GPS and WIFI enabled
- Remote voice monitor
- Built-in math games
Kids love playing in the water. Despite this, many of the smartwatches for kids available in the market are splash-proof but not waterproof. This means your child cannot swim while wearing them, and if they accidentally do...bye-bye smartwatch.
However, the Kids Smart Watch Phone GPS Tracker is waterproof and has been designed to enable children to play in the water without ruining it. It also has an advanced position tracking function that enables you to track the location of your child from a mobile device in real-time. The remote control and two-way SOS feature enable you to view your child’s surroundings at any time.
Parents who have bought this gadget for their kids say it is an amazing product. They particularly like the fact that they can call their kids and track their whereabouts. They also point out its solid construction and lightweight feeling.
- Voice chat enables you to call your child in real-time
- Ability to monitor your kid’s location in real-time
- Completely waterproof
- SOS emergency features make it possible for your child to call three numbers at the press of a button in case of an emergency
- The built-in math games enable your kid to learn in a fun way
- When you dial your child’s number, it automatically answers so they never miss your call
- Doesn’t come with a SIM card
This is a smartwatch for kids that is suitable for children between the ages of three and 15. A really neat feature to help your child to focus in the classroom is the “classroom function” that restricts its use to a certain time of the day. However, this doesn’t affect the normal SOS function.
The Overall Top Kids SmartWatch
When I compared the five smartwatches for kids on this list, I chose the VTech Kidizoom Smartwatch as my top choice. This is because its AR features take the idea of smartwatches for kids to a whole new level. It also has other amazing features such as dual cameras, motion games, and an app.
Best Value Kids SmartWatch
If you want the best kids smart watch that will provide you with real value for your money, the Kids Smart Watch Phone GPS Tracker is the ultimate choice. One thing I love about this gadget is its emergency calling feature.
At the press of a button, your kid will dial three numbers at the same time. This is definitely a game-changer in the smartwatch market, especially for kids and on a watch that was made to be in and around water.
The Role Of A SIM Card In The Best SmartWatch For Kids
One of the questions that customers have on smartwatches is why they need to buy a SIM card. This is the case because the majority of smartwatches for adults connect to the phone or get the information they need using Bluetooth.
However, kid's smartwatches work in a different way as they are not connected to a phone using Bluetooth. Therefore, they need a SIM card to access a cell network, send out the GPS signal, or make calls.
The Importance Of The Internet In Smartwatches
Do smartwatches need internet? The majority of the features that come with the smartwatches need internet connections. One such feature is time adjustment.
However, you should take note that they will still function without an internet connection. So, in essence, the answer will depend on a number of factors such as the model/brand and your desired functions.
The Future Of Smartwatches
Experts suggest that in the future, we will start to see more features in kid’s smartwatches that help to monitor our children’s health. The watches are likely to turn into a mobile pediatrician on the wrists of our kids.
Benefits Of The Best Smartwatches For Kids
Are smartwatches for kids worth the money? This is a question that is in the minds of many parents. It is not often that you come across a kid’s toy that is actually helpful to you and your child. But a smart watch for kids is one of those toys and is worth the money.
Some of the common benefits of smartwatches for children include:
- Peace of mind: Smartwatches can help to keep track of your child, enhancing their safety. Studies show that smartwatches can also be used to measure your child's physical activity.
- Parental control: Things like pornography are a big threat to children in the 21st century. With a kid’s smartwatch, you can easily monitor what your child is doing.
- Great tool for autism: If your child has autism, you probably know how helpful technology can be. Kids smartwatches can help in communication and planning for special needs children.
- Educational tool: Many kids smartwatches are great tools for learning as they come with learning games and educational apps that turn learning into fun.
- Smart gift: One of the benefits of kids smartwatches is that they are quite affordable. This makes them an affordable gift for children.
- A good fitness motivator: As is the case with adult’s fitness gadgets, smartwatches for children come with functionality that can help parents track the physical activities of their children.
- Communication tool: You can also use the gadgets to call your child or even send them a message. Some even allow the child to call you by simply pressing a button, making it easy to keep in touch.
How to Choose the Best Kids SmartWatch
There are different factors you need to consider when searching for the best kid’s smartwatch. These include:
You will want to consider the reason you need the smartwatch for your kid. Some of them are simply for entertainment purposes while others are used for learning. There are still other smartwatches that are meant to motivate your child to stay active.
Some have been designed with safety in mind. These come with a GPS tracker that parents can use to monitor their children’s activity and location.
The top smartwatches for kids come with a wide range of features. You will find one with dual cameras while another one will not have one at all. Some are waterproof while others will not be even sweat- or splash-resistant. Therefore, it is important to consider the features you need in a smartwatch before making a buying decision.
You will need to make a choice of a smartwatch that will fit on your kid’s wrist. Some smartwatches have a curved shape and will only fit a very small child. On the other hand, there are brands that are too large even for a 10-year-old child.
Size Of The Phonebook
In case of an emergency, a child will only be able to call the numbers in the phonebook. These are also the only numbers that can call the child using the smartwatch. Consider the number of people you want to stay connected and choose a smartwatch with a corresponding phonebook.
Your Child’s Interests
Remember that you are buying a gadget for your child. Therefore, you will need to choose one that will interest your child and fits their needs.
Final Thoughts On Best Smartwatches For Kids
As a parent, you will always be concerned about the safety of your child. Since you cannot always follow him or her around, kid’s smartwatches were developed to help parents stay connected with their children.
If you do not want to invest in a cell phone but you would like to remain in contact with your child, a kid’s smartwatch is a good solution. With their versatile features, smartwatches for children have proven to be a big blessing for parents as well.
Unfortunately, however, a study that was done in Norway showed that there are some shoddy kid's smart watches. This is why you need to make the right choice of the best smartwatch for your child. When you use this detailed review, you will be in a position to make the right buying decision.