As an amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Spring and summer bring many opportunities for outdoor activities with the family, but picnicking is still one of my favorites. While planning our next family outing, I came across some great picnic ideas for kids that I had to share with you!
While getting everything ready and spending a whole day out with kids may seem like a lot of work, planning a fun picnic doesn’t have to be complicated.
In this article, I will share some great family picnic ideas, including fun picnic foods for kids that are delicious and easy to prepare.
8 Fun Picnic Ideas For Kids
Picnics create long-lasting and fun memories, but planning a family outing can seem complicated when you have a full-time job. Luckily, setting up a picnic for kids doesn’t have to be more difficult than preparing dinner at home. Here are some ideas for an easy picnic with kids!
1. Permanent Picnic Spot
If your busy schedule doesn’t allow you to prepare and pack for a full-blown family outing, you can set up a permanent picnic place in your backyard. Choose your kid’s favorite spot in your backyard and transform it into your new picnic location.
The proximity of the location will give your kids a chance to play and bring out their favorite games and toys. And as an additional bonus, you can just run inside the house and bring out freshly made picnic food for kids.
2. Winter Picnic
Don’t let the cold weather and snow keep you and your children inside the house! As long as you are properly dressed in several layers and your kids have winter coats and mittens, you are ready for adventure.
Pack food, hot chocolate, and tea in a thermos, and head out to your local park for a winter wonderland picnic adventure. And if you have trouble staying warm, make a snowman, snow sofa, or snow angels with your kids.
3. Teddy Bear Picnic
The great thing about the teddy bear picnic is that you can host it anywhere, and your kids can even send out invitations to their friends. So, just lay out a blanket and gather up some stuffed bears and your kids favorite teddy bear themed books.
Your kids can read the books to their bear friends and you can bring tea, snacks, and honey cookies so that everyone can take a bite.
4. Hotel Picnic
Traveling with kids can be so much fun, but finding ways to keep them entertained when you are stuck in a hotel room can be tricky. The next time you are camped out in a hotel because the weather is bad, set up a picnic location using towels or blankets. Use your kids lunch bags to pack a picnic breakfast for your children and have fun with this low-prep and low-mess picnic idea.
5. Picnic On The Beach
When the weather is nice, set out with your kids to a local beach and have a picnic on the sand. Make sure to pack a large size waterproof beach blanket, food, cool drinks, and sunscreen for yourself and your youngster(s).
To make the picnic even more fun for your kids, pack up plastic buckets and tiny shovels so your kids can build sandcastles. Consider bringing a pair of water shoes for kids so your little one(s) can run, jump, and go in the water with ease.
6. Family Movie Night Picnic
When the weather is nice, move the movie night outside in your yard. Set up a projector and a sheet and a big enough blanket, and you can even take out some cushions to make everyone feel cozy. In terms of food, make popcorn, pizza, and a lemonade for a low-prep night to remember.
7. Backyard Grilling Picnic
You can have even more fun in your backyard than going out picnicking in a wooden park. Set up your grill and choose grill items that don’t require too much prep and can be eaten with fingers or on bread rolls.
Just spread the blanket on your lawn and bring out your toddler table for the youngsters. To make things even more fun, get your kids involved (if they are old enough) and have them prepare the outdoor setting and bring out all the food items.
8. Picnic Inside A Fort
For all those times when it’s too cold to go out, use your imagination, pillows, and blankets to create an indoor picnic fort. Blanket forts are always a hit with kids, and you can make yours even more fun by decorating it with soft lights and by serving healthy food.
The picnic time and place is determined. We all know that there is a huge list of things that need to be carried to the picnic. How would you carry them? Here are our suggestions from Amazon:
Picnic Backpack for 4 from California Picnic Check Price on Amazon
ALLCAMP Insulated Picnic Basket Check price on Amazon
Picnic Food Ideas For Kids
Fun picnic foods for kids are as important as picking out your next picnic spot, but cooking and meal prep can make your head spin. However, thanks to the following ideas, you won’t have to spend much time in the kitchen.
Picnic Breakfast Ideas For Kids
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and to make it more fun and enjoyable for both you and your kids, try some of these ideas:
- Pajama Breakfast Picnic: There’s no need to prep all night and fill a picnic basket when you can surprise your child with a fun pajama breakfast. Instead of eating your regular breakfast at the table, throw a blanket on your lawn for a mini picnic breakfast. Your kids will love to stay longer in their pajamas and you will enjoy the change in the routine.
- French Toast Sticks: These delicious and easy prep toast sticks are perfect for picnic breakfast. Whisk together one egg, milk, canned pumpkin, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and cloves, and dip the toast strips into the mixture. Bake in the oven and serve it to your kids with a cup of yogurt or almond butter.
- Waffle Sandwiches: Instead of using bread for sandwiches, make some waffles. Spread on peanut butter or cream cheese and add some fruit for your kid to enjoy.
Picnic Lunch Ideas For Kids
Planning to go on a one-day picnic trip with your kids? Then check out some of these easy prep picnic lunch ideas for kids!
- Meatball Sandwich: For kids who love meatballs, a delicious meatball sandwich is the right meal choice for a fun picnic day. Furthermore, you can serve it as an appetizer, family dinner, or pack it in your child’s bento box.
- Mini Corndog Muffins: Super easy to make and pack, these picnic lunch muffins are every child’s favorite, and your kids will never have enough.
- Lasagna Cupcakes: The greatest thing about this idea is that you can prep the cupcakes, freeze them, and bake them anytime your kids need a picnic lunch.
Picnic Snack Ideas For Kids
Taking your kids on a picnic is never a good idea without making some healthy snacks for the way!
- Fruity Quesadilla: All you need to make this yummy snack are bananas, tortilla shells, and Nutella.
- Fruit Salad: Instead of just bringing fruit on a picnic, use an ice cream cone and fill it with your kid’s favorite fruit salad.
- Double Decker Snack Cup: Use cupcake liners to divide a cup into two sections and fill them with your kid’s favorite snacks.
Picnic Drinks Ideas For Kids
You’ll want to pack plenty of water to keep yourself and your kids hydrated on a picnic, but you can also bring other refreshing drinks too.
- Lemonade: Mix freshwater with lemonade and freeze it in a fun-shaped ice cube tray. Then just add the cubes to the water to make a refreshing picnic lemonade.
- Infused Water: Encourage your children to try something new by making fruit- or herb-infused water for your next picnic.
- Orange Sprinklers: If your kids love the bubble of a soft drink, mix up all-natural orange juice with sprinkling water for a bubbly orangeade.
While summer is a great time to have a picnic and spend some quality time with your kids, you can also use these great picnic ideas for kids to have fun indoors. And since any picnic won’t be complete without a meal or a few, you should pack up your kid’s favorite food and snacks before you head out.
An outdoor picnic adventure wouldn’t be complete without an oversized blanket, sunscreen, and bug repellant, and you should pack and clean everything without leaving any mess behind.