Right after they became a reality back in 2015, hoverboards were an instant success. They were cool, and getting around had never been so fun, so futuristic. But soon enough, many buyers (mostly parents) began to have second thoughts about this new technology—are hoverboards completely safe?
Back then, manufacturers weren’t paying much attention to safety and quality—a situation that, unfortunately, led to accidents when some boards overheated.
But that’s not the case anymore, because compliance with safety standards is a must now, and you are assured of a hoverboard that’s completely safe for your kid.
Nonetheless, you still want to be careful because accidents do still happen. There are thousands of them actually, and your best shot at keeping your son or daughter safer is to opt for a board that won’t expose them to unnecessary risks.
So, with both safety and fun in mind, here’s a quick overview of what I found to be the best hoverboards for kids.
Quick Links To The Five Best Hoverboard For Kids Reviews
- Segway Ninebot S Smart Self-Balancing Transporter – Best Overall
- EPIKGO Self-Balancing Scooter – Runner Up
- TOMOLOO Two Wheels Electric Scooter (K1 Black) – Best Affordable
- Razor Hovertrax 2.0 Hoverboard Self-Balancing Smart Scooter – Best for All Terrain
- YHR Hoverboard – Self-Balancing Scooter – Best for Kids 12 and Over
|View on Amazon →|
|View on Amazon →|
|View on Amazon →|
|View on Amazon →|
|View on Amazon →|
*The above links lead to current prices and customer reviews on Amazon
My Top 5 Picks Of The Best Hoverboard For Kids
1. Segway Ninebot S Smart Self-Balancing Transporter – Best Overall
- Powerful 400-watt motor
- 10.5-inch pneumatic tires
- Anti-theft function
- Can accelerate to speeds of up to 10 miles per hour
Segway is a world-renowned creator of hoverboards, with a solid reputation for making high-quality products. With the Ninebot S, you can expect top features like a self-balancing mechanism, excellent power, and decent scalability for steep slopes.
In most of the best hoverboard for kids reviews, there’s immense love for the intelligent app management that comes with this board. It allows you to get the best out of the transporter by enabling you to adjust the speed limit, ambient lights, and even remote-control the vehicle or self diagnose in case of a problem.
As if that were not enough, the manufacturer also added a smart battery management system that lets the user know the temperature, voltage status, usage, and potential issues on the battery in real time.
For beginners, you receive a New Rider tutorial that you must complete before Segway allows you to scale your speed beyond 4.3 miles per hour.
- You can climb slopes of up to 15 degrees, thanks to powerful 400W dual motors
- The 10.5-inch tires are excellent for absorbing bumps on any terrain
- Knee-control bar is a great steering assistance addition, keeping the Segway on track for smooth rides
- Board’s frame is made of lightweight yet durable aviation-quality magnesium alloy
- Proper use of the steering bar might require extensive training
- Requires close monitoring when it’s on and not in use because it can move on its own
This transporter is more portable and durable than it looks. Add onto that the combination of full-app connectivity and safety and you have a tech-savvy hoverboard that can offer your kid fun rides.
- 400W dual motors
- Multiple UL certifications
- Water resistant (IP56 Waterproof Certified)
- 8.5-inch all-terrain tires and alloy wheels
- Maximum speed of 10 mph
The sturdy, all-terrain tires combined with a clean board design make this hoverboard stand out among the competition. And that is not all that makes it stand out; it has passed 159 safety regulation tests including whether it poses a fire hazard. With this board, you do not have to worry about safety issues like short-circuiting or overheating.
EPIKGO has clearly gone the extra mile on this hoverboard, making it versatile enough to go over the grass, sand, and dirt with the same agility and ease. It can tackle slopes of up to 18 degrees, and this hoverboard will scale them without struggling because of its powerful motors.
If you need it to go for long distances or have a teenager who would literally live on the thing, you are assured of up to 10 miles on a single charge. Charging is a quick two-hour process, thanks to the fast charging technology.
This youth hoverboard is a beast, not only in terms of performance but also in size. Its dimensions are 30% larger (27.5 x 8.7 x 9.1 inches) compared to its competitors, providing you with more foot space and stability.
EPIKGO Self Balancing Scooter can be used by kids and adults weighing between 44 to 240 pounds.
- Durable and usable in almost all weather
- The all-terrain tires enable it to be used on all kinds of surfaces
- Maneuvers through just about any surface conditions
- Only recommended to be used by kids aged 13 + years
- Sometimes slow customer service response times
Given its power, reliability, and versatility, there’s no doubt that this self-balancing hoverboard is a joy to take out for a spin.
3. TOMOLOO Two Wheels Electric Scooter (K1 Black) - Most Affordable
- 350W dual brushless motor
- UL certified hoverboard with lithium batteries
- Maximum speed of 10 mph
- Can be controlled with an app
- Colorful LED lights
This two-wheel wonder is probably one of the best gifts you can you ever get for a kid because it is absolutely safe and very affordable. Apart from multiple UL certifications, you’ll be happy to know that the battery has been tested up to a thousand charges to ensure that this board does not have overheating issues
You can easily tell that the Tomoloo Hoverboard is constructed with high safety standards in mind. The tires are solid, and the foot pads are designed to be non-slip for better grip and a smooth comfortable gliding experience. In addition, the shell is fire-retardant for enhanced safety.
This commuter tool has a decent speed that is neither too fast nor too slow. At 10 mph, which is its highest speed, your kid can glide around and commute to their favorite spots in the city, campus, or park with relative ease and at a fairly quick pace for a range of up to 12 miles. If they want to cover a longer range with the same battery life, then they can do that at a slightly lower speed of 8.7 miles per hour.
What’s more, this hoverboard allows you three speeds to work with. This is great because all the kids and adults in the family can enjoy it despite their proficiency level.
- Multiple UL certifications assure buyers of its safety for kids
- Can control certain aspects (such as stereo-surround music) through an app
- Colorful lighting switches randomly for an even cooler effect
- Both kids and adults can use it
- Great tool for commuting, as it can tackle slopes of up to 20 degrees with ease
- Relatively cheap
- Pairing the app with most recent phone models can be difficult
- It requires careful handling to ensure it lasts longer
Despite its few shortcomings, TOMOLOO Two Wheels Electric Scooter (K1 Black) impresses on many fronts, from safety and functionality to versatility and aesthetics, making it ideal for kids of all ages and those with particular preferences.
- Uses special self-balancing technology
- Two riding modes, one for training and one for riding
- 350W motor
- Maximum speed of 8 mph
This is the very definition of a smart recreational product. Its smart technology takes safety to another level with Razor’s exclusive EverBalance technology, which makes mounting and cruising extremely safe. The Razor Hovertrax 2.0 Hoverboard can accommodate both a beginner and a seasoned user.
The board will automatically self-balance, whether it detects weight on it or not, which is what makes it easy for beginners to use. In addition to that, it has decent ground clearance, but if you need to go offroad, it is better to get something with larger tires and more torque.
Above all that, this little motorized device can keep going for an hour with users weighing up to 220 lbs. But if you need it to keep going longer, you’ll have to change the 36V lithium-ion battery for LG cells. The cells do have to be authentic LG cells so that the user is assured of longevity during his/her ride.
- It auto-levels, keeping the rider safe during use
- Keeps up with constant use due to its shatter-resistant polymer body
- Fitted with fender bumpers to prevent stuff from being thrown around by the wheels
- Has an anti-slip rubber foot platform that enhances grip
- Low battery warning feature can help you keep track of the board’s battery usage
- The charger is a bit delicate
Once you are done with the board, it will turn off after about 20 seconds of loud beeping. This, together with the rest of the unique features packed into this hoverboard, led by the self-balancing technology, make it worth a try for the kid who’s adventurous and eager to have fun with it.
- Decent 300W motor
- Bright LED lights (headlights)
- 6.5-inch aluminum wheels with solid rubber tires
- Sensor activated lights that detect movement
- Anti-slip foot pads
Lights and more lights are what makes this hoverboard attractive and very futuristic in design. It functions like a well-lit vehicle in dim conditions because of the LED lighting system, which includes a front LED panel and flashing LED wheel lights.
The YHR Hoverboard offers users 300W of power from its dual motors, allowing you to get excellent speed. And don’t be fooled by the exuberant lights; this board can actually hold weights of up to 220 lbs comfortably, making it excellent for both kids and adults.
Also, the battery is UL certified, assuring you of safe electrical performance and quality charging.
- Frame is made from durable ABS
- Kids can keep their balance on the board with the anti-slip foot pads
- Lightweight and self-balancing, making it great for learners
- Contains built-in bluetooth speakers to provide entertainment during rides
- Battery life is only about an hour after 3-4 hours of charging
On the aesthetics front, wins hands down. It’s colorful but at the same time functional enough to meet the needs of both kids and adults who would love to explore its greatness.
Things To Consider Before Buying the Best Hoverboard for Kids
As I mentioned earlier, you are more likely to end up buying the right board for your son or daughter if you give proper consideration to factors that truly matter when shopping for a hoverboard. They include:
You’ve probably heard stories of hoverboards bursting into flames. Back when safety certifications didn’t exist, this was a risk you had to take when buying a hoverboard. Faulty batteries and overheating were the common culprits.
But in 2016, a commission was set up that now issues certifications to hoverboards that meet safety standards. When shopping, look out for ‘UL 2270 certified’ or ‘Certified 2272 Complaint’, which is proof that the item meets these helpful safety standards.
Expect a maximum and minimum weight rating for each board. For most hoverboards, 45 pounds is the common minimum while 300 is the set maximum. Make sure that your kid’s (and all users’) weight falls within the accepted range set by the manufacturer before making a purchase.
Speed is definitely a big deal when it’s your child operating the hoverboard. Given their level of training and the risks involved, leaving them to maneuver at high speeds doesn’t sound like a wise idea. Usually, 8 mph is the recommended average speed.
But if he/she is older, well-trained, and has a bit of experience using this device, then you could be a bit lenient with the limitation and buy them a board capable of reaching 10 mph plus.
Remember to always weigh the speed against the battery’s capacity to be sure that you are getting the best value for your money.
Training Mode/Self-Balancing Features
Even though it’s not a must, it would be great if the hoverboard had a training mode. This makes it friendly to newbies. Also look for features like the self-balancing mechanism. It makes the learning process easier, because the rider will feel more comfortable while learning to stay on the hoverboard.
This boils down to preference. Hard plastic tires, for instance, are solid and lack inner tubes, a fact that makes them ideal for paved/hard surfaces. However, if you’d love the type that can handle uneven and softer surfaces, rubber or pneumatic tires would be the better option.
You’ll come across different motor powers, and ultimately, what’s right for you will depend on preference. Powerful motors, like the 400-watt type, can handle tough terrains and hills with ease compared to ones with lesser wattage.
Remember, there’s no one-size-fits-all youth hoverboard that every kid will love; there’s only what’s best for your child. Therefore, consider these features, his/her preferences, and the speed of learning, so you can easily narrow it down to what’s most likely to be ideal for him/her.
Safety & Legality Issues
Hoverboards are more popular now than ever before, but some authorities are still seeking to regulate their use. States like California have placed restrictions on hoverboards with respect to age, speed, safety, and lane use.
Countries like England, Germany, and Canada, among others, also have regulations that govern the use of these motorized devices.
On the surface, this may sound like a stretch. But once you see how dangerous this device could be, not just to the user but also the public and other road users, it’s clear that there is a need to have regulations to govern their use for the good of everyone.
So, you may want to check with your country or state laws before making the purchase and leaving your kid to hop on. However, places like parks, your yard, malls, and other open areas are mostly exempted from such restrictions. Just be sure to teach your child to be careful and considerate of others around them.
That said, it would still be wise of you to know and take safety precautions whenever your kid will be using their board. Here are a couple of considerations to start with:
1. Safety Gears - There are hoverboards that can reach speeds of up to 13 mph. And of course, there’s a possibility that you could fall off. In fact, hoverboard accidents are just as common as car, motorbike, and bicycle accidents.
Since accidents happen, you can minimize the extent of injuries by getting yourself proper safety gears like quality helmets, wrist guards, elbow pads, and the like.
2. Safety Stops - Look for a safety stop. Most UL-2272 hoverboards usually have it. Its major use is that when the device loses power, it won’t stop right away. Instead, it will brake gradually with the help of a safe glide, protecting your board and the user in the process.
History Of Hoverboards
Other than hoverboard, another term you’ll run into is ‘self-balancing scooter’. Of course, there are a dozen definitions for this device out there, but put simply, both refer to a motorized transport device comprising of two wheels mounted on a platform that holds the feet. There are generally no handles.
Even though they became popular around 2015, their roots date back to the 1980s blockbuster movie Back to the Future II, in which the main character and his companion time-traveled into the future and saw kids riding ‘hoverboards’.
The only difference is that the hoverboards they visualized were the kind that would levitate off the ground. Nevertheless, people have adopted the name and made it official for the self-balancing scooter that’s in existence today.
If you’d like to a short tutorial on how to use these boards, the video below has you covered:
Hopefully this article helped you to find a model that is perfect for your youngster. Don't forget the safety precautions discussed earlier as this will help you and your child to have a wonderful experience with the board you've chosen.
Other than this being a selection of well-rated and best hoverboards for kids and adults too, you have absolutely nothing to worry about where safety, speed, range, build quality, and versatility is concerned.
Even though all of the boards discussed are feature-rich, safety certified, and made to suit the different needs your kid(s) may have, the Segway Ninebot S Smart Self-Balancing Transporter effortlessly stands tall above the rest because it incorporates more clever features into its powerful system, making it functionally better than the rest.