My search for the best strollers for big kids started as a result of a painful experience. Going shopping was a real hassle, as my three-year old son would tug away from me and start plucking the toys from the shelves. But I assumed he needed exercise, and therefore, did not see the need to get a stroller.
Quick Links For The Best Strollers For Big Kids
- Baby Jogger 2016 City Mini GT Double Stroller – Best Overall
- Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Stroller
- Kolcraft Cloud Plus Lightweight Double Stroller – Best For Budget
- Graco Roomfor2 Click Connect Stand And Ride Stroller
- Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight Jogging Stroller
|View on Amazon →|
|View on Amazon →|
|View on Amazon →|
|View on Amazon →|
|View on Amazon →|
That was until one Sunday afternoon (I still vividly remember it) when he slipped away from my watchful eye in the mall. I panicked. When your child gets lost, it’s like a nightmare.
For the hour he was lost, I ran helter-skelter like a lunatic around the mall looking for him. Luckily, I found him safe and sound. But since then, I don’t take anything for granted. I realized that a child can vanish from your sight in an instant. And I reconsidered the stroller thing.
When I started my research for the best strollers for an older child, I wanted something that could last and provide enough shield from the summer heat. I quickly found that, like many other things in life, not all strollers are made equal.
There are so many strollers out there with different features and capabilities. Some are made for use on the smooth city roads, while others are made for rough terrain. Some are made for travel, while others are meant for jogging.
Some strollers are made of a sturdy material, while others are cheaply made and will fall apart after a few weeks of use. These can only be termed as a complete rip-off! If you would like to get a stroller that meets your needs, this review and buying guide is a must-read.
My Top Choice Of The Best Strollers For Big Kids
After a lot of research, I settled for the Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Stroller. The stroller had so many good reviews, I had to try it, and it has been amazing. My son absolutely loves it!
While I have owned many different strollers before, this is one of the best I have ever had. It rolls effortlessly no matter the terrain. It also comes with comfortable handles that are just the right size.
It is also easy to fold the stroller. It is light and can be easily lifted. I could go on and on about the benefits of this stroller. I would definitely recommend it!
Top 5 Best Strollers For Big Kids
Here is my review of the top five best strollers for older children.
1. Baby Jogger 2016 City Mini GT Double Stroller – Best Overall
- Huge adjustable canopy
- Double stroller
- Adjustable handlebar
- Reclining seats
- Car seat attachment
The baby Jogger 2016 City Mini GT Double Stroller is a great choice for helping you run your errands. It comes with a twin stroller and a padded seat recliner that gets to an almost flat position. Where necessary, you can transform it into a pram or travel system.
No matter the terrain, this double stroller is a perfect fit for you. It is made with a patented technology that allows you to fold it using one hand and comes with an auto- fold technology. It can hold up to 100 pounds.
Users of this stroller say the double stroller is a great choice for errands, working out, and play. They also say it is easy to use, as all they need to do is to lift straps and the twin stroller folds itself.
- Canopy shade blocks the sun with UV rays
- Smooth to push and ride
- Easy to fold
- The car seat attachment is not very well made
With the Baby Jogger 2016 City Mini GT Double Stroller, the baby seats can be reclined separately. You can have an infant in one seat and a toddler in the other. If you are looking for a good alternative to the baby push cars, consider this stroller.
2. Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Stroller - Runner Up
- Reclining padded seats
- Bicycle tires
- Console with two cup holders
- Compact fold
- Lockable front swivel wheels enhance maneuvering
The Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Stroller comes with bicycle tires that enables it to roll effortlessly no matter the terrain. The parent console comes with two cup holders and a covered storage compartment. The seat has five harness points, enhancing the safety of your child.
The rubber handle is ergonomically shaped to provide better levels of maneuverability and comfort. There are baskets under the seat where you can fit your purse or kid’s backpack and still have room.
Users of the stroller say they love the bicycle tires that roll perfectly well on rough terrain. They add that it is easy to push it around, and their kids love it.
- Good sized baskets
- Rubber handle for extra comfort
- Ability to attach a car seat
- Adjustable canopy protects your kid from the sun
- Easy to assemble
- You need to press the brakes really hard for the stroller to stop
The Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Stroller offers a very smooth ride. Not only is it light, but it strolls by itself without much effort. It is without a doubt the best overall stroller on the list.
3. Kolcraft Cloud Plus Lightweight Double Stroller - Best For Budget
- Huge canopy
- Parent and child’s tray for holding drinks
- Standing fold
- Storage baskets
- Reclining seats
- Five-point harness system
The Kolcraft Cloud Plus Lightweight Double Stroller comes with a huge three-tier canopy. With this model, you can be assured that your child will be fully protected from harmful UV rays.
To help you keep watch of your child, the canopy has a window. The stroller only weighs 23 lbs and can accommodate a kid weighing up to 23 lbs. This makes it a perfect choice for day trips and traveling.
Customers of this stroller for big kids say they like the fact that it has a wider fold. Another feature that seems to please users is the easy standing fold which makes it a great choice for vacations and car trips. They also point to the fact that it fits well in their cars, is lightweight, but also has a big canopy.
- The extended canopy offers maximum protection from UV rays
- Two storage baskets with a capacity of 10 lb
- Reclining seats keeps children comfortable
- Ability to fit through each door
- Five-point harness seats keep your baby safe
- Doesn’t fold down very well
- Unsuitable for rough terrains
- Seat covers cannot be removed for washing
This is without a doubt one of the best double strollers for big kids. The harnesses are adjustable, and it is easy to get babies in and out of it. Each canopy comes with a peek-a-boo, made of mesh, and a cover.
4. Graco Roomfor2 Click Connect Stand And Ride Stroller - Best Travel Stroller
- Ability to lock the front wheels
- Large basket to store your essentials
- A parents’ tray with cup holders
If you have two children who weigh a maximum of 50 lb each, the Graco Roomfor2 Click Connect Stand and Ride Stroller is the right option for you. It comes with a front seat that not only reclines but lies flat. It also has a padded bench seat to enable kids to stand or sit on the platform.
It is easy to push the stroller even with two children. The older child can use the standing platform or jump seat to add fun to the walk, while the younger one can sit and recline. The one-fold design makes it easy to use the stroller.
Users of the stroller say this is a great investment, as it enables them to easily manage their two kids. They add that it has a manageable footprint and folds up easily and tightly.
- Opens and closes easily
- Lightweight but compact
- Easy to set up the car seat
- Easy for a toddler to hop in
- Easy to fold
- Heavier than single strollers
With the Graco Roomfor2 Click Connect Stand and Ride Stroller, you do not have to push a bulky stroller to keep your kids in check. It is compact, turns well, and you can change the wheel settings.
5. Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight Jogging Stroller - Best for Tall Kids
- Swivel front wheels
- Car seat adapters
- Parking brakes
- Wide seats
- Parents’ organizer
The Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight Jogging Stroller is among the best strollers for older children, as it can withstand a weight of up to 75 lbs. It is made with an aluminum frame that is perfect for absorbing shock. The stroller also has a compact design that is easy to fold and clean.
The seats on the stroller are high, providing users with better visibility and a seat recline that can be adjusted to different positions. The parents’ organizer enables you to store your accessories such as phone, keys, and beverages.
Users of the stroller says it one of the best strollers for a 50 lb child. They say it is comfortable for their kids. Even when they go out to jog for a couple hours, their toddlers remain comfortable.
- Front wheel swivels to ensure maximum maneuverability
- Parking brakes ensures secure stops
- Auto-lock feature
- Can be turned into a travel system
- Mesh pockets to store your kid’s toys or snacks
- Not very easy to fold and unfold the stroller
- May not fit in tight spaces as it is large
It is not often that you come across strollers with lots of headroom for taller children. However, the Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight Jogging Stroller is one of them, making it is a good option for tall kids and special needs children.
Benefits Of Strollers For Big Kids
If you are wondering if it is a good decision to buy the best stroller for a big toddler, here are a few benefits you should know:
- Convenient transportation. Running errands with a small child can be hectic, as you need to keep a watch on your toddler as you do your daily activities. If you would like to run your activities smoothly, you will need to have a good stroller.
- More comfort. Carrying your baby using a stroller offers more comfort to you and your child. The majority of strollers have a soft fabric and padded seats that provide added comfort to young ones.
- Safety features. The majority of baby strollers come with safety features. Lockable wheels and five-point harnesses help enhances the safety of your baby, especially on rough terrain. Many modern strollers have suspensions that help to minimize bumps, guaranteeing a smooth ride.
- Protection from harmful UV rays. Most baby strollers come with a canopy that protects your baby from the harmful UV rays of the sun.
- Storage compartment. Many of the best strollers for older kids come with a compartment where you can store your things.
Types Of Strollers
There are several types of baby strollers:
- Full-size. This is an option that will work from birth all the way to toddlerhood. It is usually marked by a seat that reclines flat that can be useful for infants. Many of them also accommodate a car seat and a bassinet that is usually sold separately.
- Double stroller. This is a great option for parents with two children or who are expecting twins, as it can accommodate both of them at the same time.
- Jogger stroller. With this model, your baby can become your exercise buddy. In most cases, these strollers have been built to handle rough terrain. They are a suitable option for kids who can sit up.
- Travel systems. These usually come with separate seats for infants. The seats are easily snapped into the frame of the stroller.
- Umbrella. These come with seat structure and support. They are usually a good choice for larger babies.
The Right Age For Using Strollers
In case you would like to use a stroller for a newborn, you will need to choose a reclining model. This is important as newborns do not sit up or hold up their heads. The majority of umbrella strollers do not offer enough head and back support for newborn babies.
It is also worth noting that many jogging strollers do not recline. This means that you should only use them for babies who are at least six months old.
Strollers For Special Needs Children
According to an online clinic, many of the strollers for big kids have been designed to accommodate special needs children. However, if you have a child that was born prematurely or has a health concern, a good idea would be to choose a stroller that will also help you to carry the necessary supplies.
Key Features To Consider When Choosing Baby Strollers
There are several considerations to consider when buying the best strollers for big kids. These include:
The strollers for big kids are able to hold a weight limit of between 50 and 75 lbs. Double strollers often have a capacity of 100 or 110 lbs. You will want to choose one that is able to meet the capacity of your baby/children.
Studies show that away-facing strollers stress babies. A reversible seats feature allows you to change the direction that your kid is facing. It is definitely an important feature, as parents often like it when their kids are facing them. But if your child is the curious type, they might prefer to ride while facing forward.
You need a model with a cover that is easy to unfasten and clean. It should not fade or shrink with washing.
Underneath Storage Basket
A storage basket can prove helpful for parents to store their items. Hanging heavy bags on the handlebar can affect the stability of the stroller and may even cause it to tip. Therefore, you need to choose a stroller with a spacious basket.
The best strollers for big kids should have seats with enough room, a higher canopy, and a longer back rest to accommodate taller kids. Choose a stroller with enough space to fit even a five-year-old without their head touching the canopy.
Some models also come with a reclining seat and this can be very useful for bigger or older kids. It can also help to enhance your baby’s comfort.
Choose a model that is high and wide, providing your child with enough room for growth. The canopy should also fold easily and quietly. This should be big enough to provide your child with enough cover from the sun and the wind.
Choose a model that has been certified by the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA). A good idea is to visit the JPMA website to see if your desired model is certified. A certified model means the key features such as stroller brakes and stability, lack of sharp edges, and a locking mechanism have been tested.
Large air-filled wheels are suitable for bumpy ground and long walks, while smaller wheels are suitable for running errands in the city. Swivel front wheels offer better maneuverability, while locked wheels provide more stability.
When you choose a model with a frame that is too heavy, this will cause the whole stroller to be bulky. Therefore, a good idea is to pick a stroller with a light frame.
Choose a stroller for big kids that come with brakes that are easy to operate. Some models come with brakes that lock both wheels which is a key safety feature. Ensure that your baby cannot reach the brake release.
When you pick a model with an adjustable handlebar, it will be easier for you to push the stroller.
With the best stroller for big kids, you will be able to show your baby to the world while ensuring that they remain safe and secure. But, like we have already seen, you will need to choose a good model to enjoy these benefits fully.
The good news is that you can simply choose one of the above models, and you can be assured of a good time with your baby. If you are still finding it hard to choose one, I would suggest you pick the Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Stroller.
This is one of the most popular models in the market today. Not only does the adjustable canopy offer maximum protection for your child but it is a good choice for going on trips as well, as you can turn it into a travel system. Try it today, and you will not regret it!